Saturday, April 13, 2013

Clan of the Broken Banner -- Pt. 1


I’m not crazy.

I have always had, or believed I had, this ability to see an event take place far away, as it was happening. Yesterday, for example, on my walk home from school,  I was supposedly caught in a day dream as my parental unit would say, and imagined what it would be like if a cougar came straight at me. In the middle of Lynnwood, this is highly unlikely and slightly dark, but I suppose that is all part of my “condition”.

 I imagined in my mind, taking a large piece of concrete that came free from a part of the sidewalk, and waving it at the cougar. When the feline would come too close, I’d bash its head in. I took this further in my day dream and imagined that I was in the woods, with my dog, if I had a dog, camping, and a cougar crossed my path. I would take out my trusty knife, if I had one, and perform the same menacing gestures towards the puma, warding it off.

When I got home, KOMO 4 at 4 was broadcasting a story of a boy who had saved his father from a mountain lion with nothing more than a hunting knife and a very loud voice. I would learn later that this was no coincidence; that my “condition” as my therapist called it, the quasi-schizophrenia, wasn't a condition, but a gift, and that my future was sealed to one of the greatest battles humanity would take part in, but never remember.  

I’m not crazy. 

3 comments: